One of the most common productivity tool for the corporate users, Microsoft office is no ‘one size fits all’ shoes. It is used by million of workers world wide. Office or Microsoft Office provide client softwares, server softwares and other services served by Microsoft. Rather than providing a single black office, Microsoft gives its users a whole Stonehenge of options- Office on Android smartphones, Office on iphone and ipads, Windows and macOS, Office on personal computers and Office with fist full of apps.
But when you will keenly observe you will come down to two kinds of Office only- one is Microsoft Office 2019 and the other is Office 365.
Microsoft 365 earlier known as Office 365 is the subscription service debuted in the year 2011. Microsoft 365 is designed to help you achieve more with innovative Office apps, intelligent cloud services and world class security.
Office 2019 is the stand alone suite that traces back to the last century. For customers who aren’t ready for the cloud, Office 2019 is the next on-premises version of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, Access, and Publisher
Since all the Microsoft Office softwares includes more or less the same applications, it is difficult to draw a comparison between the two.
So let us find out Office 365 or Office 2018 which is better
The two versions of Office can be differentiated on the following basis:
- Purchase Plan
- How each version is Serviced
- Hook up of Office with the cloud services
- PURCHASE PLAN OF OFFICE
- To spell out how it is paid for, Office 2019 has been dubbed as a ‘one-time purchase’ software by Microsoft. Whether you buy one copy at a time or hundreds of copies via volume licensing, it is a one time purchase only. Office 2019’s entire purchase price must be laid out before receiving the software.
- The license purchased to legally run the software has no expiration date, which means that the users may pay for Office 2019 one year and can use it for life time in perpetuity.
- One-time purchases include Office Standard 2019 and Office Professional Plus 2019 (Windows) and Office Standard 2019 for Mac (macOS), the enterprise-grade SKUs available only via volume licensing.
- Microsoft uses one of the most aggressively used payment method of subscription services for Microsoft 365, so that it can get payments on monthly or annual basis.
- The user has the right to run the suite’s application as long as the payment is being made. The service will automatically expire once you stop making the payments.
- Office 365 plans range from one for individual consumers (Office 365 Personal) and small businesses (Office 365 Business) to educational institutions (Office 365 Education E5) and corporations (Office 365 Enterprise E3). Office 365 is also part of Microsoft 365, an even more expensive subscription. The latter comes with labels resembling those of Office 365, including Microsoft 365 Business and Microsoft 365 Enterprise E3
- All enterprise plans – from Enterprise E1 to E5, as well as ProPlus – do not offer a monthly option but require an annual commitment.
COMPARISON BETWEEN THE PAYMENT METHODS
(Example: Office Home & Student 2019)
|Microsoft 365 subscription|
(Example: Microsoft 365 Family*)
|Cost||Pay a single, one-time cost||Pay a small monthly fee, or save by paying for a full year|
|Office applications||√||Get Office apps like Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.||√||Get the latest version of Office apps like Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook. You’ll always get the latest features, new tools, security updates, and bug fixes. PC users also get Access and Publisher.|
|Feature updates||X||Security updates are included, but you won’t get any new features. Upgrades to major releases aren’t included.||√||Your version of Office will always be improving. You’ll get all the latest features and updates, as well as security updates and bug fixes.|
|Install Office on more than one computer (Mac or PC)||X||One-time purchases can be installed once on either a PC or Mac.||√||With Microsoft 365 Family, you can install Microsoft 365 on all your devices and sign in to five at the same time―that means you can use Office no matter where you are or what device you’re on. This includes PCs, Macs, tablets, and phones. You can also share you subscription with up to five other people.|
|Advanced features on tablets and phones||X||Install the mobile apps for free and get basic editing features on tablets or phones under 10.1″||√||Install the mobile apps for free and get extra features when you sign in to Office apps on your device.|
|Extra online storage||X||Not included.||√||Securely store your files in the cloud and access them from anywhere. Get 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage per user, for up to 6 users including yourself. (Microsoft 365 Family).|
|Technical support is included||X||Initial technical support is included for installing only.||√||Contact us throughout your subscription at no extra cost for help with technical issues, or for subscription and billing support.|
HOW EACH VERSION IS SERVICED
Pace is very important to the users and the IT professionals who provides the services, as a result of which, Microsoft is fast in its development process.
- Office 2019 will remain the same as it was when you bought it ; features and functionality wise. It is a like a traditional software served with traditional ways that holds for servicing too.
- Unfortunately, Office 2019 does not get updated from time to time with new features and functions.
- If one feels like getting an updated version say, Office 2020 (assumption), then the users have to pay another up – front fee to run that suite.
- Office 365 has a complete different servicing model as compared to Office 2019.
- Office 365 and Office 2019 receive the same security patches and non – security fixes, but Office 365 acquires new features as well as functions in every two – years.
- Microsoft 365 Apps provides new and updated features for Office apps, such as Excel and Word, on a regular basis. You can control how often the users in your organization get these new features by specifying the update channel.
- In addition to new features, update channels also provide security and non-security updates on a regular basis, every month. Non-security updates provide fixes for known issues and provide stability or performance improvements for Office.
- The three channels are:
- Current Channel
- Monthly Enterprise Channel
- Semi – Annual Enterprise Channel
Here is the comparison of these three channels:
|Recommended use||Provide your users with new Office features as soon as they are ready, but on no set schedule.||Provide your users with new Office features only once a month and on a predictable schedule.||For select devices in your organization, where extensive testing is needed before rolling out new Office features. For example, to comply with regulatory, governmental, or other organizational requirements.|
|Release frequency1||At least once a month (likely more often), but on no set schedule||Once a month, on the second Tuesday of the month||Once a month, on the second Tuesday of the month|
|Feature updates2||As soon as they’re ready (usually once a month), but on no set schedule||Once a month, on the second Tuesday of the month||Twice a year (in January and July), on the second Tuesday of the month|
|Once a month, on the second Tuesday of the month||Once a month, on the second Tuesday of the month||Once a month, on the second Tuesday of the month|
|Usually at least once a month (possibly more often), but no set schedule||Once a month, on the second Tuesday of the month||Once a month, on the second Tuesday of the month|
|Support duration for a given version4||Until the next version is released with new features, which is usually about one month||Two months||Fourteen months|
HOOK UP OF OFFICE WITH CLOUD SERVICES
- Both Office 2019 and Office 365 are able to connect with Microsoft’s cloud services but actually neither them is truly cloud based.
- However, in April 2017, Microsoft announced that Office 2019 will be in the mainstream support period to connect with Microsoft Office cloud services.