There are two different functions that enable users to split a cell. The option of “Merge & Center” under the Home tab, allows users to merge two cells together and then unmerge them on a cell that has merged with another cell. Other option “Text to Columns” under the Data tab splits the cell into columns. It converts the text of a cell into separate columns for each word within the text. Though the condition of splitting a cell can be changed or customized by space between the words or by character between the words such as a comma depending upon the data.
Steps for splitting two merged cells.
- These are the two merged cells, users can also merge more than two cells by selecting the cells and clicking the “Merge & Center” option from the home tab.
- Now, select the merged cell that you want to split or unmerged and click the “Merge & Center” button directly or click the arrow for the list of options and click “Unmerge Cells” from the list.
Steps for Splitting Cell text into Columns
- Click the Data tab from the top.
- Select the cell that you want to turn into multiple columns by the “Text to Columns” button.
- Click the “Text to column” button from the ribbon above the excel sheet, where all the functions are given.
- A window to convert Text to Columns will appear, choose the file type that describes your data if it has characters like commas or tabs separating each field or its fixed width of space between each word. Then click “Next” to adjust the break line.
- Another window will appear in which you can adjust the break line between the words. To create the break line click on the desired position. To delete the break line double click on the link. And to move a break line click and drag it. Click “Next” for the next setting levels for selecting the data format for each column.
- In this window, you can select the format for each column by selecting from the column data format. Once you are done click the “Finish” button from the bottom of the window.
- Now you can see that the text of a cell has separated into multiple columns.
Hopefully, the article has assisted you to resolve your query. You can write to us if you need support or help with any particular feature or program of office 365 or other Microsoft programs.