Windows 10 the successor of Windows 8.1 released on July 29 , 2015 is a series of operating systems developed by Microsoft and is released as a part of its Windows NT family of operating systems.
Initially Microsoft aimed to have Windows 10 installed on over a billion devices within three years but it took almost five years for Microsoft to complete this goal.
Windows 10 surpassed Windows 7 as the most popular version worldwide in January 2018 and by May 2020 it surpassed Windows 7 as the most popular version in China.
Windows 10 addresses most of the shortcomings which were seen in Windows 8. Windows 10 has been described as ‘ operating system as a service ‘ by Microsoft as it will go through ongoing updated features and functionality. Windows 10 continues to receive major features and functionality beyond its initial release in the market. Windows 10 has introduced a number of new elements and developed the old features of Windows 7 and Windows 8.
New innovative features and the development of previous windows’ features can be seen in Windows 10.
Windows 10 has released seven versions till now which are as follows:
- Version 1507
- Windows Hello
- Version 1511 (November Update)
- Version 1607 (Anniversary Update)
- Version 1703 (Creators Update)
- Version 1803 (April 2018 Update)
- Version 1809 (October 2018 Update)
Windows 10 won’t be launching for quite a while but we already know a lot about Microsoft’s upcoming OS. From Xbox for Windows and Cortana for desktop to a resurrected Start Menu and new multitasking tools, the new platform will offer a bevy of new features.
All the versions came with some additional new or updated features. Here is a Windows 10 new features list:
1. Start Menu Returns
Microsoft has finally bought back the Start Menu for which the Windows 8 detractors have been uproaring for.
- The Start button will appear on the bottom left of the screen.
- On clicking the Start button two panel will appear side by side , with the left column showing the pinned , recently and the most used applications.
- A power button at the top will also appear with the options such as Hibernate , Standby and Shutdown and an all apps option a la Windows 8.
- On the right column there is a selection of live tiles which can be customized by the users and can also be reorganised.
- The bottom will look up related Internet results in addition to programs and files.
- The start menu can be expanded to full screen whenever the users want which eliminated the need for modern UI start screen.
2. Cortana Appearing on The Desktop
- Windows 10 will bring Microsoft’s voice-controlled digital assistant Cortana to desktop computers which makes it easier for the users to interact with their device without lifting a finger.
- The users can search their hard drives foe specific files , can pull up photos from specific dates as well as launch Power Point Presentations just by commanding their computers or laptops to do so.
- Multi tasking has become much easier, as the users can send their emails through Cortana while working on their spread sheets.
3. Xbox Application For Windows 10
- The users will soon be able to play any Xbox One game on their PC or tablet, with the Xbox application for Windows 10.
- The new operating system will support Xbox game streaming (through your home network), with improved speed and graphics performance thanks to DirectX 12 support.
- The app will also allow the users to record, edit and share their fragging victories with the Game DVR feature, which lets you grab the previous 30 seconds of the game so that the unexpected wins does not get missed.
- Users can also play and join their friends in games across Windows 10 or by using the Xbox platforms and one can also see other persons activity in the game via Xbox live.
4. Project Spartan Browser
- The long-derided browser will be replaced by the newly announced Project Spartan.
- New features include PDF support, a reading mode that improves the layout of long articles, and a new note taking feature.
- The new note taking feature will let you scribble your thoughts and share them with your friends through social networks, without leaving the browser by just sliding in the menu.
- Project Spartan with the help of Cortana support can pull contextual information from the sites, navigates to a restaurant or pull up an upcoming flight without having to go into your email.
5. Improved Multitasking
- A new Multiple Desktops feature lets you run another set of windows as if on another screen, but without the physical monitor. This is similar to Apple’s spaces feature on OS X, and helps you manage your multitude of open windows and apps.
- Instead of having multiple windows open on top of each other on one desktop, a whole other virtual desktop for those programs to reside in can be set up now by the users.
- Users can leave the apps leave such as Netflix and Amazon open, and create another desktop for work on which they can keep Word, Excel and Internet Explorer open.
- Users can keep a track of their open apps on windows 10 with the coming up of new desktop.
- The users can hit the new Task view button on the task bar or swipe in from the left edge of the screen in order to pull up a one page view of all the open apps and files.
- The snap view multitasking feature is also updated by Microsoft in order to dock the windows to the four corners of the screen. The system will even suggest what other open apps you can use to fill up available space, a feature called Snap Assist.
6. Universal Apps
- A new category of software is being introduced by Microsoft known as the universal app. This app makes the transition across device more seamless.
- The company is also bundling its own set of Universal apps with the OS, including Photos, Videos, Music, Maps, People & Messaging and Mail & Calendar, which all function the same way on tablets, phones and PCs.
- The content is stored and synced via Microsoft’s cloud service OneDrive so the users can pick up where they left off on another device.
- Photos will pull the images across the PC and mobile devices and organize, enhance and sync them through OneDrive.
- The system even detects duplicates and stores just one copy of the same image, and can automatically create good-looking albums for the users.
7. Office Apps Get Touch Support
- A new version of Office apps Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook will provide a touch-first interface across phones, tablets and PCs
- . The persistent function ribbon at the top of the apps is now an app bar that shows up only when they are needed by the users.
- In Outlook, the users will now be able to delete messages from inbox by swiping each entry to the left. Swiping to the right flags that message.
- The apps will look and perform the same way on a PC as they do on a mobile device for a more coherent experience.
- For more convenient outputs the system will now detect if you have plugged in a keyboard or mouse and can help in switching modes.
- A notification about activating the Tablet mode will appear on the task bar in case you remove the keyboard or mouse.
- When the user will dock the keyboard or mouse again, a notification asking fror closing the tablet mode will appear.
9. Action Center
- Windows 10 will provide a new way to look at all your notifications in one place.
- The Action Center appears to replace the Charms menu that slides in from the right on Windows 8 devices.
- It collects alerts from the device from all the apps, similar to the notifications drawers in iOS and Android.
- Depending on the app, the users can also respond or react from this panel itself, with each notification expanding to show more actions.
- The Action Center also offers a quick way to toggle connectivity options and other settings such as display brightness and contrast.
10. Unified Settings / Control Panel
- Instead of a hunting for a specific menu, the users can now manage their device at one place only.
- This makes things less confusing as the Control panel and PC are at one place now.